This intriguing period piece of 1821-2, stands prominently on its hillside above Robin Hood’s Bay, looking out to sea and on a site where people have worshipped for many centuries. Externally it looks severe and windswept; internally it is a rare and unaltered example of a church furnished for the preaching of the Word - a real ‘preaching box’ which has escaped re-ordering - with galleries to the north and west, box pews below and a superb three-decker pulpit half way along the south side.
The sea is a recurring theme throughout and there are memorials to the shipwrecked in the church and churchyard, a list of rescues by the lifeboat and a model of the SS Pretoria. Rare survivals are the ‘maiden’s garlands’, which were carried in the funeral procession of a maiden.
Open daily throughout the year
At all other times the key is held by a key-holder nearby : further information in the church porch
St. Stephen’s is in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust.
Old St Stephen's